Monday, February 4, 2008

Sewing, sleepless night, and school worries



Last night when her daddy was watching the Super Bowl, BabyGirl & I were playing string games. We got as far as the Tea Cup & Owl Eyes when she lost intrest in learning new shapes. Instead she used her new found string powers to trap everyone in the house in her web.

After 20 minutes of, "Who wants to be captured?" She informed me she wanted to knit something. I told her I don't know how to knit, but maybe we could sew something. She's convinced we need to learn to knit incase the boys wet their pants on vacation this summer. "Then we'll have to knit them new ones really quick, Mom."

We made a quick dig through the scrap basket & came up with some soft floral flannel to make a doll blanket. I let her help iron the material & run the sewing machine. Then she did all the hand stitching by herself. She was so proud of it. She wrapped my old doll up & tucked her in for the night.

After that we had a heck of a time getting her settled in to bed. She didn't give up until around 10:30. She kept getting angry when we'd say anything about school. She told us she hates school. She hates wearing clothes to school. She doesn't have any friends. She doesn't like to learn. We talked to her about her dad switching shifts so he'd be home with her more often. We talked about home schooling. We talked about having a friend over to play. She wasn't having any of it.

I laid in bed with her last night after I tucked her in. She told me everyone at school made fun of her because they said she said a bad word. I asked her what she said & she said, "I was showing them my middle finger & they said it was a bad word. I said it was not & they all called me a liar." I have no idea when this happened, or what she was showing them on her finger, but I do know she has no idea what flipping someone off is. I told her that she wasn't lying, but there are people who stick up their middle fingers & mean bad things by it. I said, "Daddy & I try not to let you see a lot of bad things, so you didn't know. You didn't mean anything bad, so it's OK."

This morning she cried that she didn't want to go. She was so tired (big surprise). She didn't want to go to the doctor (she had a strep test since we pulled her off antibiotics). She was a mess. My heart was breaking for this poor kid.

When we finally got her to school, it was time for recess. I walked her out & watched as a Kindergardener grabbed her by the arm & dragged her off to play. BabyGirl was smiling & thrilled to be out playing. I don't think she's as lacking in friends as she says. I think it was more a bad case of nerves from being out of school so long. I know she has a tendancy to be shy & I think it's being made worse by her issues with clothes.

I feel so helpless sending her off to school some days. I'm not worried about her being "popular" but I do want her to have friends. SPD can cause social problems & that's just one more thing to worry about. I figure if the teachers have noticed her scratching, the kids have too.

I so wish we could get this ball rolling a little faster!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the blanket looks lovely.She did a great job!!

Hope today was a good day when she came home and some of that apprehension was gone.

Hugs.

Grace said...

Oh my goodness... I'm having this awful image of two little boys running around in scratchy, handknit underpants! Yikes!!