Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The never ending case of strep & a singing snail.

Today was BabyGirl's 6th day on Omnicef for her strep throat. She's still running a fever. I called the NP this morning & she phoned in a new script for us. BabyGirl is now on Zithromax & I'm hoping it kicks this mess by tomorrow night.

The OT was at school Friday to see BabyGirl. BabyGirl was home sick. The OT will be back this Friday. We only have one day left to get rid of this fever. I thought we were in the clear today, but at bed time the poor kid was back at 101. I decided to forgo her night time dose of Motrin in the hopes that the fever will either kill the strep or break in the night. The school has sent home notices asking parents to keep kids home until they've been fever free for 24 hours. So she'll be home again tomorrow making it the 5th day in a row.

I popped in to ask about her home work on Monday. Mrs.G said there wasn't any from Friday or Monday. Friday is their test day & they spent last week in Acheivement testing (she also missed Tuesday of last week, so that's 2 days of Acheivement tests to make up for). Monday was the 100th day of school, so it was spent doing *special* things. Today I picked up the work from yesterday & today...then we spent 4 hours doing her make-up work. 4 hours! She's in first grade! But then I guess doing what it normally takes 2 full days to do in 4 hours isn't bad.

I'm really getting antsy about her seeing the OT. It's only an informal evaluation and that makes me a tad irritated too. I want to get the ball rolling. I want to jump into this thing head first. I want answers & treatments...and I want it all now.

When I was a little girl we had a record with a song on it sung by a snail:
Have patience,
Have patience,
Don't be in such a hurry.
When you get impatient,
You'll only start to worry.
Remeber, remember that God is patient too,
And think of all the times when others have to wait on you.

I feel like I'm singing it at double the speed it was written for. I need to settle down & do like the song says.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

never heard of the song but like it..

Here's prayers that she makes it to school THIS Friday

Grace said...

Ah, The Music Machine! Lived by it when I was a child! I still sing it to my kids, and it drives them nuts!

Mommy to 4 little people said...

Farmwife, Oh such a bad friend I have been....I am so sorry for not checking in sooner. I am even more sorry that you and your family are going through such a difficult time. I know it does not seem like it right now but things will get better. I know exactly how you feel about wanting answers and worrying yourself to death. It seems like anytime we are blessed with a special needs chiild it changes us to the core. One day you are going along and everything in your world seems perfectly normal (what ever that is) and them BAM!!! you are blindsided by something you never expected. In the beginning it is very difficult but everyday it really does get easier. One day you will wake up and life will no longer hold the intense worry (for this event) that it holds now.
My best advice is to take a deep breath and "try" not to stress or obscess(sp?) about it too much. The answer will surely come in their own time and all the worrying in the world won't make that happen any faster.
Also be your daughter's best advocate. Go with your gut! Don't let the medical professionals steer you away from your gut! If you know something is not right don't let anyone make you doubt yourself.
My prayers are with you and my phone and email lines are always open to you.

Mommy to 4 little people said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mommy to 4 little people said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.