Friday, February 8, 2008

Forward Momentum

It feels so good to be able to write something postive here. To write that we have finally entered into the beginning of evaluation if not treatment.

The OT came yesterday to talk to BabyGirl at school (I didn't find out until breakfast this morning). The OT came back to see her today. The OT called me. I was happy. The problem is she cannot touch BabyGirl without a diagnostic code. State rules that they are trying to get changed. Even if we get a diagnosis of SPD, she still can't do much as it's not recognized by the mainstream medical community. But she said she could treat her if she can list her as "other health impaired." My concern was, would this lable her & stick her in the Special Ed class? She doesn't need to be in Special Ed & I really don't want her there. I have no issues with Special Education, it's a much needed program, but it's not where BabyGirl needs to be. Miss D assured me that would not happen.

She told me to call our Doctor's office & have them order an outpatient OT evaluation. I called the doctor & left a message for his nurse. We played phone tag for a while. I called the OT's at the hospital to be sure they dealt with kids & SPD. Great news: there's a new OT starting Monday who has worked extensively with pediatric patients. That also means she should be very well versed in SPD. I called the doctor's office back & they're going to fax an order to the hospital to have them evaluate BabyGirl.

I am so relieved. We are getting somewhere. This ball is rolling. Thank the Good Lord Above!

4 comments:

Grace said...

I know everyplace that we've lived, Prophet has recieved speech as his only therapy with no Special Ed. As a matter of fact, I tried to get him some extra help in the special ed department when he was younger. He never tested quite low enough, so it was a no go! Trust me, they don't want to have any kid in Special Ed that doesn't need to be there... it'll cost them extra money! Thankfully holding Prophet back one year did the trick and he's doing amazing now!

Anonymous said...

i'm so happy for you kiddo..yahooo..the ball is a rolling..hugs and love.

Kork said...

Woo HOO!! Praying that the OT's at the hospital will evaluate and give you that "other health" diagnosis. Praying more that the schools will be cognizant of what this means, and keep her where she needs to be!
Lots of love and prayers to you!

Lauren said...

oh, that's good news!