Tuesday, February 12, 2008

God bless you, Miss Emily!

The new OT from the local hospital called me today. I can tell you right now, I love Miss Emily.

She called to set up BabyGirl's eval. but seemed a bit confused with the order. "It says here she needs to be evaluated because of hand problems & a possible sensory disorder. Do her sensory problems have to do with her hands?" I said no & began explaining BabyGirl's poblems to her. She completely understood & was so supportive about it. I told her we thought we were loosing our minds. "No, you aren't, honey. She's miserable & you had no idea why. Don't worry. We'll help her."

She listened to me for about 15 minutes & gave some advice. She said she really looks forward to meeting us on Friday. I am thrilled.

We had been 4 full days without a major melt down & I was beginning to think the come aparts had all been in my imagination. BabyGirl assured me today that they were not. She wanted to make coffee filter sun catchers this morning. For some reason she wanted to stand in the corner by #1 Son's chair to color. This caused major drama & she fell apart. She spent 30 minutes screaming in her bedroom floor. She writhed around on the floor screeching that her hair was itching her & clawing at her self. I finally got her calmed down enough to put her in an oatmeal bath. Things have been better since then.

I'm trying to adapt the attitude of giving thanks in all things. So today I am thankful that we're having a snow day & she could stay in her room during the melt down instead of having it in the van on the way to school. That has gotten dangerous lately.

So now I have to be careful that I'm not hanging my hopes on Friday & Miss Emily. She's going to help, but this will not be a quick fix.

No comments: