Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Laxing off a bit

Samantha asked (so very long ago) if I was sticking to BabyGirl's sensory diet of if we were relaxing with it.

To be honest, I've slacked off quite a bit in my enforcement of it. BabyGirl does many of the stuff on her own because she enjoys it, but I don't push her quiet like I did in the beginning.

I think the sensory diet was a life saver for us. I cannot imagine still dealing with the daily battles we had back in January. Since starting the sensory diet BabyGirl's clothing issues have decreased drastically. She will wear a greater variety of clothing now than she has since the beginning of Kindergarten. Where we were limited to 2 pairs of pants & 2 shirt for a while, she now wears at least 4 pairs of pants, most of her shirts, and with the weather warming up she's back in her dresses & skirts.

Since we tried the blindfold experiment, she's picked out a new kind of favorite panties. She still limits herself to one particular brand & style, but I think most people do that. I'm OK with that since I can get more of them. It was the single pair of underpants I had a major issue with. In fact, Friday I bought her another pack of the kind she now prefers so she has 6 pairs to choose from. That seems like such a luxury to me! (Granted there are probably 15 pairs in her drawer she doesn't want to wear, but at least 10 of them are old enough to need to be replaced anyway.)

I think the weighted blanket has helped her the most. Since she started sleeping with it she's been calmer & much more tolerant of texture. We rarely brush anymore & the joint compression is an occasional thing (once a day, maybe).

Now our biggest issue is the learned behaviors SPD has caused. For a long time sheets itched so she would throw a fit at bed time. Now the sheets don't bother her, but she still doesn't go to bed easily.

I'm trying to learn what battles are worth fighting. There's a fine line with her between a sensory problem & a behavioral problem. What can start off as behavioral can quickly become sensory. If she refuses to go to bed & an argument ensues, that can quickly escalate into "itching" and a melt-down over bedding. So picking my battles is far from easy.

I'm glad summer is coming because simply being outdoors is a great feast for her senses. The more she does on her own (swinging, sliding, bike riding, running, playing, bouncing), the less I have to remind her to do. I think that may also explain why summertime was always easier for her. In the winter she becomes too sedentary & that contributes to her issues.

So, for the moment, most of her Sensory Diet is in her hands, but I know it's worked for us!

1 comment:

Kork said...

I'm glad that she's getting to a point where she is doing things on her own...whether part of the prescribed Sensory Diet or not...I think most children have some sensory issues as they grow and develop, and that's why some kids react better to certain situations. I think it then becomes a matter of how parents and other adults in their lives handle things.

Remember that no matter what, YOU DO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Never, ever forget that.

Remember too that BabyGirl didn't learn her behaviors in one day, so it will take some time replace the negative ones with positive ones. And just think, you get the whole summer to be able to let the kids run amok...or at least a little freer than they do now...