Monday, April 7, 2008

Look out, Victoria. BabyGirl has a secret of her own.

Thank the Lord, Spring is here. I was beginning to think we'd be trapped in the house until the kids graduate from college. And now that BabyGirl will willingly go outside to play, I'd really hate that. Three months ago, if the weather was decent, she would spend all her time in her room instead of going out with Husband and the boys. She spent a good deal of time looking out the window & crying that it wasn't fair that the boys got to ride the four wheeler & she didn't. Now she's the first one dressed & out the door.

Last night I decided I'd had enough of washing the same 3 pairs of underpants because she would only wear "the white ones." The white ones came in packages with printed underpants that were otherwise identical. This has been going of for more than a month, and although a vast improvement on refusing to wear them all together, it still gets a bit wearing.

At one point there was only one pair of the white ones she'd wear. A few weeks ago I started switching out the underpants (unbeknownst to my daughter). Middle of last week I finally told her what was going on. At first she didn't believe me, but eventually she accepted it as fact.

Bed time last night found her in a rather good mood, so I told her we were going to do an experiment. I blindfolded her (which she LOVED) and tried every pair of underpants she owns on her. If she liked them, I put them on her bed. If she didn't I put them on her bed. When we got through the entire pile, there were only 2 on the floor, so I tried them on her a second time. The second time they passed the test.

When I took the blindfold off her face she was thrilled to see the pile on her bed. "I liked all those, Mom?! That's ALL MY UNDERPANTS! They all feel good now!!" She ran out in the living room & told her dad & showed him the underpants she'd picked out to wear to school today.

This morning she even wore a pair of Capri jeans & a t-shirt that hasn't seen the light of day in months.

And bedtime drama is down by about 8,000 % since we introduced the weighted blanket. She's been sleeping under it all night & I really think it's feeding her nervous system as much if not more than the brushing. We've cut back on the brushing quite a bit, but I think I'm going to start setting the timer & doing it every 2 hours again.

I do wonder if this is something she'll grow out of since her SPD is fairly mild by comparison & treatment is working so very well for her. It would be wonderful if this ended up being something we could look back on and say, "Hey, do you remember when BabyGirl was a nudist?"

4 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

When they start developing htey acquire a natural shyness about running around nude. She'll out growit Im sure. LOL

Anonymous said...

i'm so happy for you both sweety

Samantha said...

I am so glad that the weighted blanket thing is working. I had heard of weighted clothing, but not blankets. Of course, I am getting out of the loop on some of this stuff. You are so clever creating this blanket yourself.

Kork said...

God is so good! We'll keep praying that you'll have the wisdom and guidance and tools you need to get through this! No matter how long it lasts! You let me know the schedule of brushing and I'll set my timer and pray during that time for you that it will continue to help her out!