Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I know, I know

It's been a VERY long time since I posted here. I'd thought about deleting this blog, but I'm not sure it's served it's purpose just yet.

After all, BabyGirl still has SPD. This is still a struggle in our lives. It's just not the daily battle it once was. We're not dragging a screaming child out the door every morning. We're not wrestling her into clothing that she'll just strip off as soon as she gets in the van. I'm not in tears when she leaves for school each day.

But we still have issues.

First of all I would like to announce that my daughter wears clothing every day now! This is a HUGE step in our house. She's not been allowed to run naked since her birthday in June. She may only have on a sundress & nothing else or an old t-shirt or tank top of mine & nothing else, but she does stay dressed. She still sleeps in the buff, but that I can deal with.

Secondly, she wears underpants willingly when we leave the house! This is also a HUGE step for her. She's found a kind she really likes so I bough 9 pairs & she's happy with them.

Thirdly, she will wear her hair up on occasion. In the midst of her SPD melt downs she couldn't handle the feel of her pony tail touching her neck or back. Now it doesn't seem to bother her. She likes to wear it up. She's also growing out her bangs (which is driving me nuts, but she's doing OK with it).

BUT...(you knew all wasn't well, didn't you?) she's having issues paying attention & following directions at school. A note came home from Mrs.S on Friday & I went in to talk to her today. BabyGirl is home with strep throat so I wanted to pick up her work. Mrs.S and I discussed BabyGirl's problems transitioning from one task to the next. She ends up floating around in outer space some times & has a tough time focusing on the tasks at hand.

I've talked to her. Mrs.S has talked to her. Now I have to find a way to ground & center her so she doesn't fall behind. When she does her home work, I have to sit with her & keep her focused. Mrs.S can't do that. She has 27 kids to teach.

So, that's my task for the moment. Focusing a butterfly. Oh dear.

No comments: