Saturday, June 7, 2008

It's Happend

My BabyGirl is seven. She's only 3 years away from double digits. She's only 6 years from her teen years. I'm only moments away from the fetal position.

Didn't we just bring her home from the hospital? Isn't she still packing around her sippy cup? Blue's Clues is her favorite show, isn't it? What? Hannah Montana? No. She can read? When did that happen? Wait, she wears clothes now? Oh, only when there's company, right? All the time?! How did I miss this?

Ah me.

To celebrate her birthday yesterday, we went to the doctor! She has her first case of poison ivy. Yippee. I'm not sure, but I think I'm immune to it (at least at the moment...I know that can change at anytime). I thought the kids were too as they spend all their time outside & we live at the edge of a woods. No one's ever had poison ivy before....maybe we've just been exceptionally lucky (or their guardian angels work overtime).

She doesn't have it particularly bad, but Doc put her on an oral steroid & a topical steroid just in case. Her grandmother (MIL) gets it horribly as does Grandma M&M (my grandmother). He didn't want to risk it especially with the weekend coming. She's not thrilled with the prednisone, but she's taking it. The Skittles I'm bribing her with help!

But she did stay dressed all day yesterday! I was worried that the itching from the poison ivy would send her back to her "nekked" ways. But no....she not only wore clothes, but kept on her shirt & shorts until bath time last night. Normally she'd strip down & put on a giant t-shirt at the first opportunity. I just hope she can keep this up. I don't want a fight. I'm tired of fighting. But more than that, I'm tired of her being naked all the time.

One more thing. In the past few weeks, she started clicking her tongue all the time. It's irritating as all get out. She's also started doing strange things with her spit....blowing bubbles & sucking it through her teeth....constantly. Since most bodily fluids make me sick at my stomach (spit being one of the worst offenders), this is not a good thing. I tell her no less than 10 times a day to "quit clicking!" It's like living with that guy from The God's Must Be Crazy crossed with a redneck dipping Skoal. So gross!

I'm pretty sure this is a sensory thing. I need to post on my message board about it & see if anyone has any advice. I've been pushing chewing gum & drinking straws to help curb it. Maybe we need to get her a teething toy...sounds strange, but if she has an oral need that needs to be met, I'd rather that than all this clicking & slurping....I shutter just typing it!

No comments: